Welcome to my Site

You can reach me at: bnbharty@gmail.com and I'll try my best to answer. I get a crazy amount of email, so PLEASE don't hate me if you don't hear back from me. Love ya!

Click here for my Terms of Use

Saturday, January 24, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

We're HERE!!!!!!! We pulled into town at about 6pm on Thursday night. Hello Texas! Woohooo! So, I gotta tell you my story :) hehehe.

We stopped in Phoenix at some friends' house. They used to live in Florence when I was growing up, and moved away after I married and left Florence. Their oldest daughter is one year older than me, and their middle daughter (well, youngest daughter, their youngest child is a boy) is a grade behind me in school. They're GREAT people. Love the Harlines.

Anyway, my mom and Patti are SUPER great friends, and it was SO nice of her to offer to let us stay. We got to Phoenix at about 4 or 5 pm. They live in a REALLY nice gated community. You all remember what my trailer looks like, right? Not the typical vehicle found in a gated community - LMBO! We took the kids to the park, and let them get their wiggles out. It was DEFINITLY much needed.

Here's Jimmy playing in the sand.And all the kids on th play structure. Jacob is there, you just can't see him - believe me - hehehe. It was starting to get dark, but it was still warm. Gotta love Arizona :)

And here's Patti and Chris. Patti is taking a picture of me taking a picture of her! Dueling bloggers - hehehe. She's a big time blogger too - LOL!
So after the park, we went back to their house, and had dinner with them, and their daughter, Beth. She and her hubby Kyle live about 20 minutes away in town. They have 2 little girls, Paige and Gracie. SWEET little things. I'd never actually met them before, but felt like I knew them through Beth's blog. Funny how blogs are like that - hehehehe.

Here's Jimmy, playing with all the toys. He thought he'd died and went to heaven. At one point, he said "Mom, can we just stay here instead of going to Texas". Bless his little heart!

Emeline and Gracie - adorable!!!
We left the next morning at about 8:30, and headed to Walmart. You know, the Arizona Cardinals (football) are going to the Superbowl, and my hubby has been a Cardinals fan since before they moved to Arizona from St. Louis. He wanted me to stop by Wally World and buy him a ball cap. Sorry honey, all the Arizona fans beat you to it. They're all gone :( No Cardinals hat for you.

I think we were on the road again by 9am. It was about a 7 hour drive into El Paso. I was getting pretty tired of driving, and the kids were starting to get a little tired of riding. But then, wo could blame them.

I was SO glad when we finally made it to Texas. And I was THRILLED when El Paso was in sight. The mountains were BEAUTIFUL!!! But the city seemed to go on FOREVER. I just kept driving, and driving, and driving. Captain America had texted me directions (since apparently mapquest doesn't know where I live), and I was trying my best to follow them. I-10 seemed to go on FOREVER. I finally found my exit, and tried to get onto Tranmountain something or another. But, since my trailer was HUGE, and it was dusk, and people wanted to get home, NO ONE was letting me in. I had to get over 2 lanes to be in the right position, and people woudln't let me in.

I ended up getting piped in the WRONG direction. And what direction was that, might you ask? DIRECTLY up those mountains! And when I say up, I mean UP! My poor truck was tired, and woudln't go any faster than 25-30 mph. Up and up and up we went. I coudln't find anywhere to turn around. There were no side roads. Besides, it was a divided road, so it wasn't like I could have turned around and gotten back on the right road anyway.

I was starting to panic. My nerves were shot, and I was DONE with the move. I may have (yep, bad parenting coming out) told the kids that we were hopelessly lost, and gonna get stuck in the mountains, and that the mountain lions were gonna eat us. Oh yeah, and I was almost crying by this point. Sniffling. It got REAL quite in the truck. Poor kids, I think I scared them - hehehe.

Well, after what seemed like an ETERNITY, we found a place to make a u-turn. We headed back down the GIANT mountain. But, guess what happens when you weight 9000 lbs, and need to go down a GIANT mountain? Your breaks overheat. Yep. By the time we got to the bottom, I could smell them, and they weren't working all that well. I had to really PRESS hard to stop at the stop light. I was now on the right road, at least.

I pulled over into the Whataburger/Denny's parking lot (or something like that), parked the truck, turned it off, and called Captain America. COME GET ME, I sobbed into the phone. I was a mess. But in about 15 minutes he was there, leading me back to our new home. I was so overwhelmed and sad and happy and tired. But mostly relieved that the LONG trip was over, and that I was FINALLY done and HOME!!!

On Friday, we took the truck to get it weighed. Trailer and all. That's how the Army calculates how much money to pay you for your move. Based on weight. We were 9000 ish lbs, including the trailer and all our junk. We're pretty heavy - LOL!

I also got the kids registered for school. It seems like a really nice school. There's a uniform (jeans - blue or black, School Tshirt/polo shirt). Never been to a school with a uniform. But I think it'll be ok. Not a very fancy uniform, so the boys shouldn't throw too big of a tizzy. They get to start school on Monday. Wish us luck :)

I took a few pics of our house, and wanted to share. Here's my fam at our new house! That's our door!!! Woohoo! I have a door - LMBO!

See how pretty it is - and it's all mine - er, ours. That's right. Ours - hehehehe.
My mom and I weren't really quite sure of the floor plan before I got here, so I took a few more pics to show her what it looked like. The kitchen/dining room/living room area are all connected, but it's quite a large space, so it doesn't feel cramped.


And look how nice my kitchen is. Can you tell I'm gushing here - Hehehehe.
So Captain America and I have decided that Friday night is now our date night. Since we've been married, we really haven't gone on dates. We've done "date night" at home, watching movies, playing cards, playing games, reading books, all sorts of things. But we've never paid for babysitting. It was just never in the budget. You know how many kids I have - LMBO! The babysitting would have been even more than the activity - hehehe.

Well, since Jacob is now almost 12, we've decided that he is ready for babysitting siblings. He's been left in charge for limited amounts of time with the kids, and has always done fantastic. Well, tonight was his first OFFICIAL babysitting evening. It was perfect. The movie theater was 5 minutes from the house, he had my cell phone, and was told to Captain Americas cell phone if he needed anything. Jimmy, Joe, and Eme were already asleep in bed, and he and Tom were playing video games. I was fairly certain that they weren't gonna budge the whole time.

Yep, I was right. When we got home, they were in the same place - LMBO! Jimmy had woken up at one point, and Jacob had gotten him a small drink of water, and put him back to bed. What a GREAT babysitter. Love ya, Jacob! The long 11 1/2 years of waiting was WELL worth it. So this is what it's like to have older kids - LOL!

The movie was Fantastic, by the way. Inkheart, with Brenden Fraiser (yeah, probably not spelled right - hehehe). I'm a fantasy nut, so this was RIGHT up my alley. Absolutely loved it. I'm definitely gonna buy it when it comes out on DVD. My kids are gonna love it too. And, it was SO nice to go to the movies on a date with my hubby. Granted, we were like the oldest ones in the theater (ok, so probably not, but I now know where all the teens go after dark), but it was SO nice to have some grown up time. I could get used to this!

So since I as SO tired last night, but still wanted to give you guys something, I made the first quote that popped into my head. From the Wizard of Oz. And, since I'm at my new home, I thought it was appropriate. So, I hope you enjoy :) Click on the image below to go to my box.net account to download the PNG file, and leave some love if you like my work :)


FONTS:
H - Beautiful ES Caps
ome - Perpetua Titling MT

44 comments:

Pat in Houston said...

I feel like an old Mother Hen! Thank goodness you made it!

Susie said...

What a trip!! Glad your all all home and happy!! Glad the kids didn't get ate up in the mountains!! hehe Thank you for your word art!!

Crystal said...

I'm so happy for you! Yeah! You made it and only 1 meltdown. That's fabulous. I'll be watching out for you on gmail chat, I want to hear more! Big huge ((hugs)) because for what I hear, EVERYTHING, is bigger in Texas.

Bobbi-Lynn said...

SO glad you are home!! What an adventure for sure! I was feeling for you when you were explaining driving up the mountains. You are a strong woman!

I have a 12 yr old too who babysits, it's a wonderful thing! Date nights are so special, and so much easier when you have a live in babysitter LOL

Enjoy your new home!

Anonymous said...

Glad you all made it safe and sound on your big trip to your new home! Thanks for the wordart.

Kendra aka The Meanest Momma said...

You've had quite an adventure! I'm glad you all arrived safe and sound - I've enjoyed following your trip.

Tx for this wordart - I love it!

bethrosler said...

welcome home!

Pattycakes said...

You are amazing....what an adventure! Welcome home and thank you for sharing this!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks forthe WordArt.I'm happy for you to be in your new home.
We will be moving in Oct. and hoping to get Texas too.
Sandra from Germany

Crissie said...

I am ready to cry thinking about what you had to go through right at the end of your long trip home. Thank you, not just for the most beautiful wordart out there, but for sharing your life through your blog.

Quietangelsb said...

Glad to hear that you made it home safely. Thanks for the word art!

Brooke - in Oregon said...

Whew glad you are there and everyone is safe and Happy. Sure am glad those Lions didn't eat you! lol

Fabulous word art and oh so fitting :)

Jessica said...

So happy for you guys!!! Finally back together with your family all together!!! How exciting!

Linda White said...

Glad you made it safe. Your home looks great. Thanks for the wordart- it's true.

Itsjuls said...

I'm happy to hear that you made it safely and that you are now again together as you all should be....
I just love your stories!!

Gardner said...

Glad you made it safely. Thanks for sharing your wordart.

Jani said...

Very appropriate word art. Glad you made it safely home and I love your kitchen! Enjoy decorating your new place. It was fun watching you "move". Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you finally made it safe and sound! Your house looks beautiful! Cant wait to hear all about your stories from TX!
HUGS

Yolanda

www.yolandapralle.com

Heather in FL said...

I'm a new reader, but it was interesting to hear about your move. I can only imagine how shot my nerves would be pulling 9000 lbs of stuff up a mountain that I didn't intend to climb, and then smelling the brakes on the way down. Ugh! But so glad you made it safe and sound and everything's good now. Perfect (and beautiful) sentiment for your journey!

crazyscrapwitch said...

gosh, i felt your pain going up this moutain !!! eeeK! glad you got there safe at least and i am so happy for all of you being at HOME and TOGETHER!!!
Now the coolest of all adventures will beginn! Buying furniture, Id love to help you there!!
sO HAPPY for you Hun!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - I could really feel for you, with the being-stuck-going-up-the-mountain-after-4-days-straight-of-driving-and-the-brakes-overheating etc!!! What a woman you are!! High five! :)

Thanks for the downloads this week, and
WELCOME HOME!

Brenda said...

I had to laugh while reading your post. I moved with three kids and two dogs from Nebraska to Florida. By the time I hit Tampa, I thought I was lost, and I had been on the road 15 hours that day. I called dh and said WHERE AM I?? He directed me to the exit his work was on, and he met me there and I followed him to our house. My poor kids probably thought I had lost it by the time we pulled in the driveway, lol.

xashee's corner said...

i would have FREAKED having to up that mountain for goodness sakes!! i am soooooooo GLAD you made it safe!!! :D Thank you AGAIN for thinking of us through all your move and sharing such AWESOME wordart!! HUGS! :D Have a SUPER weekend, you are HOME!!

Anonymous said...

Bethany, thanks for your stories and for sharing your talents! I found your site last week... I LOVE your WordArt. Thank you!! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story, and ... welcome to Texas!!

*Christie* said...

I finally got to come read your blog! The pics of the house are great and I'm so happy you are getting settled in. Also, yay for date night!!!!!!! That's great!!!
I'll leave you a comment or email or something tomorrow when I finally post pics of the new furniture :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you are safe at home! I was praying for you.

Beth said...

oh man.. what a story after all of that traveling! C'mon people! Let the poor woman with the trailer through!!!! Turkeys. Glad we got to see ya. It was great and my girls sure loved playing with Eme. "Swing by" any time ;) Enjoy being home and enjoy that date night... SOME day I'll know what that's about :)

Simply Sarah said...

WOW... When I read your blog I feel like it is a novel... adventures of Bethany (Huck Finn). You have an amazing way of telling the story!

Glad you made it to El Paso! Cant wait for the next episode. :)

Rose said...

Wow Bethany, you are a much stronger woman than I am, as I would have made my husband come get me from the beginning!! I would not have wanted to try a trip that huge with that many kids by myself! Congrats on keeping it together as well as you did! And you must make time for your relationship with your husband. My hubby and I recently went on a date night as well, and it was so nice to reconnect to each other on that level. We could hold hands again, as I wasn't carrying a baby and he wasn't pushing the cart!! :)

Cris said...

woohoo!!! You made it! Even though I really don't know you,I'm really happy for you. Thanks for sharing your story and your life with us. Big hug, Cris.
BTW, great wordart. Thanks

benziengirl said...

Oh, thank God you're home! I can't believe you drove all that way and then called your hubby 20 minutes away! LOL! Guess if you had called him two days away, he wouldn't have come runnin' so quickly! anyways, glad you're there and thanks for the cute word art!

Janine said...

I am sooo relieved that you made it safely. You were in my prayers. Now, you can settle in and hopefully life won't be quite as chaotic. Enjoy it. You are one super mother and wife and brave pioneer woman. Thank you for the wonderful word art.

Our son is in Bucaramanga Colombia on a mission. Would you be willing to do a word art for missionaries - like Called to Serve or something from that song. It is so inspiring to listen to it.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to this whole blog, digi thing, but I love your word art and I enjoy your blog. It's the one I look for regularly on DigiFree. I am glad you made it in one piece, and now you have a tale to tell! Quite an accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much!

Tracey said...

Beautiful home and beautiful word art! Thanks for sharing..and have fun on all your Texas adventures!

Anonymous said...

so glad you and the family made it! You deserve an award of some sort..maybe a spa day! I hope all goes well for the kids in their new schools...as a former army brat I know those transitions can be tough..but your kids seem to go with the flow so I'm sure they will do great!

Kristin said...

Love you site and wordart! I periodically check in and see how things are. I appreciate you sharing your church experiences and explanations too. I wish I'd known you were coming through Phoenix. I would have loved to have met you in person. If I hadn't worked late that night, I probably would have seen you on the freeway as you rolled into town and would have said, "That sure looks like the Bethany-mobile!" and then would have come home to find out it really was you! You are definitely one super strong willed woman!

Anonymous said...

always love your wordart...thanks a million

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful wordart! Welcome to Texas!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad you made it - and love your new kitchen! Feeling settled yet?

Linda said...

having made a move roughly about the same time as you (and not being smart enough to import bookmarks to the laptop, duh) I'm playing catch up with your blog.

You're lucky, you have a larger kitchen than most military housing usually has.

I'd suggest you just let the Army move you next time. They pack you, they load it, you take your car and go, and your stuff shows up at the other end. We had a really decent move this time around. I will never, EVER again do a DITY move...no matter if people say you make money off it!

PSP-Filiaal said...

Thank you very much. I love your work!
Lirios - the Netherlands

Jennifer said...

Wow! Thank for sharing this moment with us!