Welcome to my Site

You can reach me at: bnbharty@gmail.com and I'll try my best to answer. I get a crazy amount of email, so PLEASE don't hate me if you don't hear back from me. Love ya!

Click here for my Terms of Use

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Need For Speed

First off, I just had to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!!" Make Mom take you out to dinner. Somewhere yummy. And go ride at the dunes. You like that. Hmmm, what else? Eat lots of cake (or donuts, whatever y'all are having at your party) and some for me too!

AND, I wanted to show you a pic of my new hair. And my new red sweater. Isn't it cute! It's getting cold here, so I can wear my long sleeves under stuff again. Funny when I think that low 70's is cold. Did I really spend last winter on the coast? I must have froze to death!


ALSO, did you all know that it's National Talk Like a Pirate day? Seriously. It is. Arrrrrgh, matey. Writing this here blog post will be a whale of a good time. Ok. Maybe not so much with me and the pirate talk. I'll just stick to Arrrrgh and call it good - ha! I do have an eye patch I can wear though......

So my alarm failed to go off for the 2nd day in a row. Friday morning, I woke myself up at 7:15. Sigh. Luckily everyone was already awake. I use my watches alarm, and it got turned off somehow. I'll have to make sure to check it before I got to bed from now on. I can't be sleeping in, or things don't go well :)

I got the kids off to school just fine, then started with Jake on his work. He did Math, and Science, and History, and Educational Technology today. I went with Jimmy into his room ,and we watch Jimmy Neutron. I think it's a funny movie. The one where the chicken loving aliens abduct all the parents and Jimmy has to figure out a way to get them back. It's Jim's new favorite..... We've been watching it a lot - hehehe.

I showered and got ready and headed off to Captain America's graduation. It was at the Air Defense Artillery Museum. Pretty neat place. Unfortunately, they had all the lights on the audience, and hardly any at all on the front of the room. My camera didn't like it at all. So I decided to take a movie of Captain America graduating instead. As they called his name, the entire back row stood, waiting to take their place at the side of the row, to be called. SO, I got a nice movie of soldiers standing in front of my camera. Oh well. If you look inbetween all the people, you can see Captain America getting his award. hehehe. I tried.



After the ceremony, I made him come back into the room and take some pictures in front of the flag. Isn't he handsome!




I figured out this cool trick a while back. I you try and take a pic of yourself or you and a friend, some kind soul is likely to come along and offer to take your picture for you. Here's me taking the pic by myself of Captain America and I.

See, worked like a charm. One of Captain America's classmates offered to take our picture. Aren't we cute!

So after graduation, Captain America went and ran some last minute, end of class, errands, and I went home. I swung by Burger King and got some dollar menu items for Jim and Jake. They LOVED it. They were so excited that I actually got them fries. hehehe.

When Captain America got home, he and I went out to lunch. We went to Carlos and Mickey's (the place that Pat took me out to when she came and visited from Eastern Texas). It's a cute Mexican restaurant. Captain America had never been, and it's supposed to be one of the better places to eat in El Paso. It was SO tasty. I was done with my refeed part of my diet today, so I knew the rules for eating out and still eating healthy. I didn't do too bad.

I ordered a Taco Salad. I picked Beef, and MMmmmmmm it was good. Spicy. YES. I'm not so much into spicy. But it was delicious. Lettuce and tomatoes and just a tiny bit of cheese, and onions, and the beef with onins and jalapenos (I picked those out and gave them to Captain America). I don't like Guacamole, so I scooped it off and gave it to Captain America, but I did eat the sour cream. I left most of the shell. I did eat a corner of it, and a few chips. All in all, I thought I did pretty good.

For dessert, we got a slice of New York Style Cheesecake to share. It was SO tasty. I wasn't used to sugary foods, so it was awfully sweet for me. But SO heavenly. I'm glad we got one to share. It was just the right amount.

Before we left, we took pictures out in the courtyard entrance. It was a lot of fun.
Here I am being "afraid" of the "Weeping Angel". Scary!
And me posing by the fountain.

And Captain America by the fountain.





We came home, and I helped Jake finish off his work. I helped Jimmy clean his room, and got snack ready for when the kids got home from school. I read them 2 chapters from "The Hunger Games", and they were disappointed when I had to stop. I made them Sausage and Eggs and BAnanas and Toast for dinner. Mmmmm, smelled really good.

Captain America and I left the house at around 7:00 pm for Date night. Jake only had to really watch the little kids for an hour, because I told him to put them to bed at 8pm. Not too bad. Captain America and I headed out to the USO. It's really close to our house. Just a ways across post. We signed in, then checked out an XBox 360 game. Some racing game. And we couldn't figure out how to work it. Neither one of us had ever played XBox before. We felt real old.

The pool tables were all busy, so XBox it was for us. We finally figured out how to turn on the TV and hook up the controller and such, but then we couldn't figure out how to make it a 2 player game. We settled for each taking a turn to see how fast we could complete the course. It was kinda fun. I ended up getting the high score. Yes!

We finally gave up on that game, and went to get a different racing game. Need for Speed. Running away from the police or something like that. It was kinda fun. Not as hard to control the car as the last game. But it was only for 1 player. Just just took turns, racing until we crashed or got caught by the police. Captain America liked it a little bit too much - hehehe. I did manage to win once, though. Woohoo for me!

We played XBox for about an hour and a half, drinking Diet Coke all the while. Free soda is good! They also had snacks there you could eat. Captain America got some trail mix. It's his favorite. Mmmmmm. I just had gum. I didn't wanna press my luck with the extra foods today :)

At 9pm, the USO closed, and we headed out to the $2.00 theater across town. We were gonna go see "The Proposal". We got on the interstate, and it was raining. Pretty hard, for the desert, in fact. The cars in front of us were going SO slow. Captain America was starting to get agitated. Just like in the Need for Speed game. Hehehe, ok, so not really. But he was getting annoyed with the car in front of us. THEN, we saw what the problem was. TONS of standing water on the road. It was raining so hard, and there was no where for the water to go.

We turned off the interstate, and started towards the movie theater. We were going uphill, and the water was coming down SO fast it was like a little river. Captain America was getting pretty nervous about it. And it takes a lot to rattle the man. Needless to say, I said a little prayer in my head as we were driving. We got there safely, though. We made a mad dash for the movie theater, trying not to get too soaked.

We were a few minutes late, but I don't think we missed anything terribly important. It's a comedy, after all - hehehe. It was a pretty funny show. I liked him in X-Men Wolverine Origins, although it wasn't a really big part. And I like Sandra Buttox... um, er, Bullock. She's a great actress. I enjoy her a lot. Captain America and I were both laughing the whole time.

When the movie got over, the majority of the water was gone. Most of the concrete outside wasn't even wet. How is that even possible? hehehe. SUCH different weather/climate from where I grew up. If it rained that hard/much on the coast, it would be soaked for days. I guess the difference in the dessert is, there's no where for it to go. The ground is so hard and impermeable, it just runs off. It soaks in on the Coast. The ground is highly permeable. Not so much in El Paso. It just runs away. I bed the Rio Grande is flowing wide tonight!

We made it home without incident, afraid that our truck was gonna be full of water. We'd left the windows down in the front seat. But it wasn't even wet. I guess the storm didn't go over that part of Ft Bliss. Strange. Not that I'm complaining. I was glad that it was spared getting soaked. I don't like getting in the truck, sitting down, and getting a wet bum - hehehe.

In honor of my date night on Friday, we get the following WordArt. I thought it would be cute on pics of kids driving things. Or running real fast. Or teens in the car. Or anything fast. You get the idea ;) Click on the links below to go to my account to download the PNG file, and leave some love if you like my work. Thanks!


8 comments:

Renee Fink said...

Great word art. Perfect for my go-cart pages I'm working on. You are a mind reader, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Scrapbook Freebies Search List, under the Page 8 post on Sep. 19, 2009. Thanks again.

Mom2mykids said...

Congratulations to Brent and to you! Wives are so important to military man! I love your new haircut, and I LOLd at the weeping angels picture. We love that episode. I put it on my iPod before we went to Oregon and my 12 yo watched it a couple of times in the car.

Anonymous said...

i love your work. can you do some wordart that's harvesty/bounty. many of us are processing the last bits from the garden now before frost hits. would be great to have some wordart to scrap gardening, canning, pumpkin, thanksgiving etc layouts.

you make the wordart soo beautiful. thanks!

mcmartian

Sharon Kay said...

Ohhhhhhhh thank you! I took pics of the boys driving go carts last month!

April said...

Luke calls Lightning McQueen "Speed". So this will be perfect for a page about his obsession with the movie "Cars" and all the pics I have of him playing with Cars toys and racetracks. Thanks!

Mari Romualdo said...

Obrigado!

Emily said...

Perfect for my little man! Thank you :)